Automating documentation (a bit long, but I need your help!)

Subject: Automating documentation (a bit long, but I need your help!)
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- NBG -dot- DE>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 23:19:00 +0100

Hello Dave,

jj> But my project
jj> leader asked me what I could find out about automating the
jj> process of
jj> documentation, so I gotta give it an honest effort.

I might have the right tool for you, but it has en extremely steep learning
curve: Schematext (http://www.schema.de). I think they have an English version
of their Web site.

Schematext is an absolutely fascinating tool that introduces object
orientation to a degree I have not seen otherwise at any documentation tool.
Since January I have used it for my Web site (http://members.xoom.com/AvO/).
Unfortunately I have no more than a bad excuse of an English dummy there
because I work in German.

But even if you have no command of German simply click around in my Web site.
You will find that I have some 140 pages there with more than 1.000 links -
some 850 of them are generated automatically.

E.g., I have an events calendar there and I need no more than 2 minutes to add
a new page for some new event - including a link from the alphabetically
sorted "events" section of the index, a link from the overview for the month
and links to click from one event to the next.

As soon as I remove the events of a passed month from my graphical overview
every reference to an event of that month is removed. Look at the index now
and then in 10 days. I have no problem to update my site every week.

If you know someone with some command of German ask him to review my chapter
about how I maintain my site.

BTW: I know the people who develop Schematext. They are some two miles from
here. We like each other but I am no employee of Schema GmbH.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance technical writer (electronics, software)