Q: Adv/Disadv of Doc Dept.

Subject: Q: Adv/Disadv of Doc Dept.
From: "J. Fraser" <tekwrite -at- ISTAR -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 09:10:48 -0300

I issued the following last week. I got a few good responses, but I'm
sure there are more of you out there who have some strong feelings on
the issue, so I'm posting one more time as a reminder.

I'm looking for information about the decision to create (or not create)
a Technical Writing Department within a company (particularly software
companies). I'd like to get some personal feedback/war stories from you
about belonging to a TW Department vs. a project team.

1. Which do you work for (or do you work for both; i.e., you
belong to the TW Dept, but are assigned to projects)
2. Who do you report to in each case?
3. What do you see as the advantages/disadvantages of working
in your particular situation.
4. What are your responsiblities to the Department/to the team
(aside from standard TW activities (writing/editing/etc.))
e.g., quality, info sharing, training issues, etc.?
5. How do you think you (your work) is viewed by other members
of your organization.
5. Other comments...

Your responses are appreciated.

** Please reply off-line and I'll post a summary if there's enough
interest.

--
J. L. Fraser, B.Sc.
Technical Writer