Re: Help! Need an ergonomic mouse

Subject: Re: Help! Need an ergonomic mouse
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 21:50:38 +0200

Rowena,

besides an "ergonomic" mouse, have you considered other pointing devices,
like trackballs or graphic tablets?

It may take a few minutes to get used to, but as a relief for the wrist and
fingers, they can be very useful. In fact, I am now working with a tablet,
and use the mouse only very rarely. Others have completely switched to a
trackball.

The condition for a trackball is that the ball must be rather big. Having a
smart tracking driver also helps, if it has some kind of proportional mouse
speed.

Other alternatives could be touchpads or those button thingies in the
keyboard you can find in portable computers. The latter may be preferred by
men as they do cause some associations. Whether it works for you, you will
have to find it out.

With mice, there used to be pretty good ones around, which were shaped like
a semi-sphere and had the buttons located that you pressed them "by
squeezing your hand" (sorry for the lack of terminology here; my English
vocabulary needs some updating <g>).

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap ...

... with Acrobat Forms ... now for belt drive designers at

http://www.prodok.ch/prodok/riemen.html

_____________

>Hello TECHWR-L,
>
>In the past, I've posted questions about ergonomics, repetitive
>strain injury (RSI) and strengthening exercises for sore hands.
>The real benefits to my working health have been enormous.
>
>Recently I've experienced a lot of "mouse fatigue" in the form of
>sore wrists and forearms, as well as numb fingers. I've been
>doing a lot of editing (select-->click motions) and graphics
>(select-->click-->drag motions) lately and I can feel the pain.
>
>My employer is considering buying me an ergonomic mouse.
>There are several to choose from, and I need feedback from
>anyone who uses, or has evaluated, the following mice:
>
>If you know of a mouse that isn't listed, please tell me about it.
>Thanks again for your help,
>
>Rowena
>rhart -at- intrinsyc -dot- com

>Rowena Hart