Re: Challenging and oppressive SME situation

Subject: Re: Challenging and oppressive SME situation
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:25:40 -0400

Greetings!

[the important quoted bits for my reply are at the bottom of this message]

I totally understand where you're coming from. I had the same sorta
situation a couple of years ago, but my problem was that she was my project
leader! She treated me like crap, attacked my work, made me feel like I was
the worst technical writer that ever existed. I tried to turn the other
cheek, smile it away, focus in on my job and do better, but nothing worked.
This woman wanted me out in any way possible, whether she managed to break
me or get someone to fire me.

If you (the original poster) want to trade horror stories, get in touch with
me (jdhickey -at- hotmail -dot- com).

On reflection now, I should've done something about it sooner. I should've
spoken up. I should've confronted the offending project leader when I saw
the problem coming. Instead, I tried to shove the problem under the carpet,
thinking I had brought this on. By the time my boss realized there was a
problem, I was completely demoralized and strung out. I felt I was so
worthless that no one would ever hire me ever again. When my boss got me to
talk about the problem, I fell apart. Maybe if I had taken action sooner, I
would not have been so far at the end of my rope.

My advice: write a detailled report on the problem which includes:
* what the problem is
* how it affects your job
* possible solutions

Make the report as dry and business-like as possible, pointing out that
there is a real problem here rather than an imagined one. The possible
solutions part is important. It shows that you want to work this out, not
just to point a finger.

Then set a meeting between you and the important people (project manager,
your boss) but don't include the offending party right away. Chances are,
the management people know there's a problem but they're hoping it'll go
away on its own. This report should show that it won't unless someone takes
action.

And see what happens. Basically, I think you should do something about it.
Don't grin and bear it. It's a problem, and by speaking up and taking
action, you'll find a solution.

--
Be seeing you,

Dave
---
jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com
Lone "Documentation Boy" at Farabi Technology Corp.
Montreal, Quebec

4000+ readers? I Am Drunk With Power! <maniacal laughter>
---
> My current position is awful, though. I am working with a SME who has
> made it her life goal to discredit me. I honestly don't know what her
[snip]
> the information she's given me. She's ignored my schedules, she's
> tried to sabotage me by giving me a "full edit" of my book, taking
[snip]
> available. This should have been a small thing, but it has grown. I
> have tried very hard to just smile and finish this thing up, but this
> SME has given me so much bad information that I've ended up rewriting
> the whole stupid book at least three times, and that's just so far.
[snip]
> Here's the thing: I need to make this situation workable, at least
> for the time being. I hesitate to talk to my boss, but I have to. I
> need to make some demands. I don't know what to say, though. I need
[snip]
> as they come up. But I don't know. Am I better off just leaving this
> alone and keeping my mouth shut until I'm in a position to take
> another job?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=