Re: voice recognition software

Subject: Re: voice recognition software
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:27:37 -0800

>Subject: voice recognition software
>Author: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV> at ipdlink
>Date: 8/18/98 11:11 AM
>

>With the discussion of RSI and ergonomic mouse/trackball solutions, I'm
>wondering how many people have tried voice recognition software. I've
>read/heard about IBM's product and Dragon Naturally Speaking, but I don't know
>anyone who actually uses either product.

I've used both an older version of IBM VoiceType Dictation that required special
hardware, and the version that comes bunded with OS/2 Warp 4 and works with most
supported sound cards. Both use speech recognition, as opposed to voice
recognition. Simple system navigation works very well with little or no training.
With an hour or so put into training, dictation of discreet speech runs upward of
90-95wpm.

>Mostly, I'm curious about editing and formatting text once entered. How much
>can be done by speaking and how much do you need to return to the mouse/keyboard
>to accomplish.

I understand that almost all functions of a properly voice-enabled native word
processor, such as DeScribe, can be readily accessed and used seamlessly with the
VoiceType in Warp 4. I haven't had a chance to test that. I have used it quite a
bit for dictating to my email and news apps, which doesn't generally require much
editing (I had to take it off my laptop to clear some drive space, unfortunately).

>Also, with headsets is it possible to use this software in a work environment
>without disturbing coworkers? (We have 6x8 cubicles, with 6 ft. walls, so it
>would need to work when speaking VERY softly.)

Depends on the headset. If you plan to go this route, spend a little extra on a
good noise-cancelling set. The first run of Warp 4 to be released included a
headset made by Athena (if I had mine here, I could give you the exact model
number) that was excellent at "ignoring" outside noise. Any good office-supply
store should be able to show you an Athena catalog.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

To seek the sacred river Alph
To walk the caves of ice
To break my fast on honeydew
And drink the milk of Paradise...