Re: Word conditionalizing (was a Frame/Word debate)

Subject: Re: Word conditionalizing (was a Frame/Word debate)
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- BROWN-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:21:59 -0700

Scott Miller wrote:

> I've heard of this method, but never tried it. Some questions:
>
> 1. Does it affect formatting at all? That is, can you apply the same
> character format to body text and big honkin' headings and have them
> look like they're supposed to?

All the character styles could look the same. Then, to print a
particular version, you'd just add "plus hidden" to the definitions of
the styles associated with the unwanted versions.

> 2. When you change to hidden text, do you get spaces left from hidden
> paragraphs? That occurs when you compile as WinHelp. It used to,
> anyway.

Not in print, because hidden paragraph marks are take up no space on the
printed page.

Help's a different matter, because the compiler generates warnings about
hidden paragraph marks. Some authoring tools autmatically "unhide" any
hidden paragraph marks before saving as RTF, and it's the unhidden
paragraph marks causing the blanks in the compiled help file.

> 3. Could this method be flexible enough to handle six condition tags
> for three products? For example: A-Only, B-Only, C-Only, Not-A, Not-B,
> Not-C.

I think the flexibility of this method depends mostly on your own
ability to keep track of styles. You have to decide which styles to
make visible and which to hide to produce a particular version of the
document.

--David

David M. Brown -- Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
http://www.brown-inc.com/
See our web site for news about HTML Indexer, the easiest way to
create and maintain indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=