Re[2]: Purpose of "test messages" is...?

Subject: Re[2]: Purpose of "test messages" is...?
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:17:37 -0500

We're innocent! Someone, whom Eric has already dealt
with, posted a time bomb to the list.

My, such hyperbole! It wasn't a "time bomb," a phrase which indicates a
program set to do a specific nasty at a specific time. It was just a
message sent to the list with return receipt requested. Misconfigured
email systems responded by sending the receipt to the list, rather than
the sender. (Note: since the list is set up to have replies sent by
default to the sender, it requires an email program be misconfigured to
send the receipt to the list. Proper behavior by the email program would
have sent the receipt to the sender and *not* the list. Also please note
that this is *not* a criticism of the users, who might have had no choice
and even less control over the configuration of the email systems in
question. These things happen, which is why it's *never* a good idea to
request receipts on any mail sent to any list.)

This is not a case of user ignorance, folks.

No. It's a case of badly-written and/or configured software.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=