Installing both Office 97 and 95

Subject: Installing both Office 97 and 95
From: Andrew Plato <aplato -at- EASYSTREET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:46:49 -0700

If 50 million buys you a 600 page Penthouse Forum article, look what FREE
can get you - instructions for installing both Office 95 and 97 on the same
box. What a smoking deal. And you don't even need a subpoena.

Technically, this post is off topic. However, I am sick of seeing so much
about this on the list. So here are some instructions for installing both
Office 95 and Office 97 on the same computer.

These instructions work on Win95, Win98, and WinNT 4.0 (Service Pack 3). I
have done this at least 20 times an never had a problem.

1. Wipe out ALL existing copies of Office from your box. Might I suggest
rebuilding the box from scratch. In my experience, when stuff starts going
bad with a Windows system it is best to back up your files and wipe the
sucker clean.
2. Install Office 95 First.
3. Install Office 95 to a unique directory such as: C:\Program Files\Office
95
4. Reboot the box after install.
5. Install Office 97
6. Install to a DIFFERENT directory, such as C:\Program Files\Office 97
7. When prompted if you want to remove all older 6.0 and 95 components,
click NO. You want to keep the existing installation.
8. Reboot the box after install.
9. Shut down all instances of the Office bar or Find Fast. Use the Task
Manager if necessary. You must do this to install the SR-1 service pack.
10. Install the Office 97 SR-1 service pack available from Microsoft.

11. Now here is the part that kills people. If you launch Word from the
Start menu - you will get Word 97. You will need to go to the directory
where you installed Office 95, make a shortcut to Winword.exe, and place the
short cut on your desk top. You can do the same for Excel.

I have done this many times and NEVER experienced any problems. The two
Offices can coexist quite nicely. Although I would not recommend trying to
use the older versions of PowerPoop or Access.

Gotchas:

NTFS and FAT partitions cannot see each other. If you have a dual boot
machine - you will need to install the apps on each partition. Sorry,
that's the way it works.

If you have WinNT, convert to NTFS. Saves a truck load of space and you can
rebuild an NTFS partition even after a reformat! Can't do that with FAT or
FAT 16. If you're really nice to me, I'll tell you how to rebuild an NTFS
partition.

I would not recommend running Office over network connections. You are just
asking for trouble.

If you don't wipe you system clean before installing Office, I suggest
getting a copy of RegClean from Microsoft. It can clear you registry of all
sorts of nasty things after an uninstall. It works for both 95 and NT
boxes. I would not use it on 98, however. Different registry structure.

Lastly, please refrain from e-mailing me with your personal opinions of
Microsoft products. It is just software not politics. Office 97 never had
an "improper relationship" with an intern.

Andrew Plato
President / Principal Loudmouth
Anitian Consulting, Inc.
www.anitian.com