Finding logo fonts

Subject: Finding logo fonts
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 06:40:30 -0600

Pam Owen is <<...trying to redesign my company logo, which was
originally done (by my partner) with a font that is not available in
electronic form, and I could use some help.>>

Actually, there's a far simpler solution. If the logo was done as a
"work for hire", then you own it outright and can simply scan it and
retrace it using the "autotrace" function of any modern graphics
package. (If there's any doubt about ownership, get written
permission from your partner before proceeding.) Once traced, the
logo is an object, not a bitmap, and you can resize it and otherwise
distort it to your heart's content. One thing that helps is to blow
it up several times on a photocopier before scanning it; at about
1/2 inch per letter, it should be much easier to autotrace and
easier for you to adjust the curves of the resulting object. If
you're really serious about doing the job perfectly and making the
letters into editable text, you could look around for someone with a
copy of Fontographer (Ares Software?) and get them to scan the
letters and actually convert them into a usable font.

Of course, if you want to avoid all this hassle, call the friendly
folk at your favorite font shoppe, and fax them the logo. They should
be happy to propose a range of commercially available fonts that
they'll sell you for a nominal price. (I suspect this approach will
work better with smaller companies, but even the Adobe behemoth might
be that helpful.)
--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Microsoft Word: It grows on you... but with a little fungicide,
you'll be feeling much better real soon now!"--GH

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=