designing surveys

Subject: designing surveys
From: Eric Hansen <ehansen -at- COMWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 18:20:03 -0400

Tony's point about even versus odd number scales is not quite accurate.
Whether your survey should have and even or odd number of choices is
really answered by that old reliable: "It depends."
An odd numbered scale does allow people to take the middle ground, but
sometimes that is appropriate. An even numbered scale forces people to
make a choice, and sometimes that is appropriate. Which kind of scale
is appropriate in what situations is a judgment call. I suggest, if at
all possible, that you and the client together decide.
BTW, this type of scale is called Likert scale. I assume it's named
after someone named Likert, but I do not know that for sure.
Eric Hansen
Instructional Designer
Comware Incorporated