Re: Q.: A replacement for "implementation"

Subject: Re: Q.: A replacement for "implementation"
From: Barb Ostapina <Barb -dot- Ostapina -at- EXPERIAN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:16:02 -0500

Rowena asked:
------------
How would you rewrite "...the current implementation of DCOM
has certain limitations..." ?

I think they're thinking of "version" or "release," but these word
substitutions have been rejected, along with "Currently, DCOM
has a number of limitations that affect..."
----------

It seems to me that what your management is balking at is the assignment of
the limitations to the product. Your suggestions of "...the current
version/release of DCOM..." and "Currently, DCOM..." puts the limitations
squarely in DCOM. On the other hand, "...the current implementation of
DCOM..." implies that, at the moment, the way you have to use DCOM has some
limitations (that, of course, will go away in the near future), but the
product itself is unflawed. Were I in the position of your management, I'd
keep the word implementation, too.

I think we need to be careful in our sometimes overzealous effort to purge
our lives of what we perceive to be overused words and phrases that we
don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Sometimes a word, however
overused, is the right one. I use the word computer a lot, despite the fact
that millions of others do, too. It says what I mean and listeners/readers
understand it. What's wrong with that?

barb -dot- ostapina -at- experian -dot- com
...speaking only for myself

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=