Resume Revision

Subject: Resume Revision
From: Keith Bennett <bennettk -at- EROLS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 20:00:24 -0500

Hello Everyone:

I've followed, religiously, Peter Kent's book on Technical Writing and I've
done both consulting work and work with agencies. I recently went in for an
interview that a tech agency set up. I met the Project Manager and the
interview was moving pretty smoothly until the interviewer talked about
salary. He asked what I was looking for, and I returned with the standard
well-rehearsed pitch. He said, after rubbing his chin and simultaneously
shaking his head, that he was willing to offer a certain figure for this
position, because they did not want to pay their technical writers more
than this. I asked: "Are you aware that I have over 14 years experience in
the technical writing field in a variety of job types. I just came off a
contract where I made this much, and I came off another contract prior to
this one where I made this much. What you are offering me is equivalent to
what you would offer a junior person for this position. What gives?" He
responded that since I only had SIX years experience, this was the best he
could do. I pretty much freaked at this point and pulled out a latest copy
of my resume and gave it to him. He looked at the resume and said this was
not the resume he received from the technical agency. Curious, I asked
could I see the resume the tech agency had sent. He gladly gave it to me
and I was shocked. They had listed my 14 years(+) experience as 6, they
didn't include most of the pertinent contracts I had worked on that would
qualify me for this position, and they left out most of my skills and
background as a technical writer, illustrator and trainer. I was appalled.
I was really ticked off. I couldn't believe that a recruiter would do this
to someone they were trying to find work, and make money for the agency. I
thought recruiters were supposed to supply the client with the resume the
technical writer furnished (I worked long and hard hours on developing this
resume mind you) and I was disappointed that they would alter my resume
almost beyond my recognition. What happened? I think others starting in
this tech writing world should be aware of this situation and let the word
go out...choose your tech recruiters (and agencies) with care! Has anyone
been through this? I'm even a little reluctant now to talk with this
Project Manager about this particular position. I mean, what other lies did
the technical recruiter tell this company about me, and me about this job?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=