Moderated and/or Controlled - definitions - please delete if you could care less

Subject: Moderated and/or Controlled - definitions - please delete if you could care less
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:43:25 -0500

On Tuesday, October 27, 1998 2:20 PM, Tracy Boyington
[SMTP:tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG] wrote:
> > Just an added perspective - I currently belong to three lists, each vastly
> > different:
> > Winhlp - Totally unmoderated or controlled
> > FrameUsers - Unmoderated (I think) but controlled
> > Techwr - Moderated and controlled
>
> Just to be nitpicky... techwr-l is not moderated. On a moderated list,
> the moderator reads every post and decides whether to release it to the
> entire list.

Ok- I'll be nitpicky too - since it was my post, and my perspective. Techwr-l
is moderated, but that is not a bad thing. Since I have been receiving a ton
of email personnally about this post and MY definition of moderated and
controlled, I decided to look them up

The Concise Oxford Dictionary, Ninth Edition

Control (n. & v.)
n.
1. the power of directing, command (under the control of).
2. the power of restraining, esp. self-restraing.
3. a means of restraint; a check
6. a. a place where something is controlled
b. a person or group that controls something
v.
1. have control or command of; dominate.
2. exert control over; regulate.
3. hold in check; restrain

Moderate adj., n., & v.
adj.
1. avoiding extremes; temperate in conduct or expression
tr.
1. act as a moderator of or to.

Moderator n.
1. an arbitrator or mediator.
2. a presiding officer

To censor would be to read all posts first. I never said Eric did that.

Half the people think moderated is a negative thing, while the other half think
contolled is a negative thing.

Neither is necessarily bad. I understood the rules when I joined. So - enough
already everybody - don't send me anymore email. If you've got a different
dictionary with a different meaning, or if you intrepret something different
from my perspective, I'm proud of you, so stop beating on me.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=