Re: Action -> Result

Subject: Re: Action -> Result
From: Don Timmerman <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:38:05 -0600

For the most part, my writing style is similar to John's
<john -at- tdandw -dot- com>. I state the action that is to be performed. Then,
following in a new sentence, I state the results of the action. If
there is any reason to be concerned about the results of the action
being performed, I preceed the action step with a DANGER, WARNING,
CAUTION, or NOTICE statement. I use Brenda's style when I have a
statement within a procedure that branches the user to several
different things. See my example below.

This process instructs you on how to detonate a bomb.

1. Open case. The blue wire for detonating the bomb is visible.
2. Hold wire cutter, Model 3-1-a7.005, in your right hand.

DANGER
Cutting the blue wire in the next step will detonate the bomb.

3. Cut the blue wire. The bomb detonates.
4. If you are alive, perform one of the following.
a. To call an ambulance, dial 911.
b. To call a lawyer, dial xxx-xxxx.
c. To call an undertaker, dial xxx-xxxx.

Don Timmerman, dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov
Argonne National Laboratory (near Chicago)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=