Re: what to say on interview

Subject: Re: what to say on interview
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:35:37 -0500

Nea asked,

>That said, does anyone have a response for the real mind-trip
>question, "What do you like to do outside of work?" also
>phrased as "what are your hobbies and interests?"

Not so much what to say, but why I ask: Blacksburg is a small college town
in the mountains of southwest Virginia - not exactly a "hot spot" for jobs
- and I tend to interview graduating students. I ask about outside
interests because it's one way to gauge whether or not the person really
has any interest in staying in (or moving to) the area, and hence staying
at the job. If your interests are hiking, fishing, and canoing, then I'm
more likely to believe you when you say you'd be happy living here. If your
interest are foreign films, trips to the museum, and symphony concerts,
then I'm less likely to believe you'll be around here any length of time.
If you're not happy with your environment outside of work, chances are you
won't be happy at work - if you hate the area even though you love your
job, you're more likely to leave as soon as you find a parallel job
somewhere else.

Marie

Marie C. Paretti, PhD
Recognition Research, Inc. (RRI)