Re: getting contractors up to speed

Subject: Re: getting contractors up to speed
From: "J. Fraser" <tekwrite -at- ISTAR -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 07:59:30 -0400

David had some great thoughts on company logistics. My response deals
with the project work itself.

Miki said:
> Of course, they won't have enough lead time to learn the product, =

(Sounds like every project I've ever worked on!! But, like it or lump it
(as my mother would say), it's gonna take at least a few days, so
you'd better plan on it!)

I was a contractor and now telecommute as an employee (similar
situation).
In both instances I ask for the same things: SME contact, copies of
design
documents, specifications, screen shots, SPRS, white papers, marketing
material, user documentation done to date (anything!) about the
application.
If possible I get the application so I can run it here. In a few
instances,
I go to the site for a one-on-one demo of the application (not always
feasible,
since I'm almost six hours away from the office). This is all "stuff"
on-site
people should get, but I know it doesn't always happen. If a
contractor's
worth his/her weight in salt, this is plenty to get "the hang" of the
application
and is a starting point to ask further questions and to start writing.
If the
contractor is on site, ensure they attend design, team, SME meetings.

Biggest stumbling block! Communication (about deadlines, scheduling,
application changes, etc.) and SME time. No matter how difficult,
try to find at least one person who can commit a portion of their time
to helping the contractor (e.g., answer questions, demo the app, etc.).
Personally, if I get the right/enough info, this is minimal--1/2 hour or
an hour a day or a couple hours a week of the SME's time may be more
than enough.

One of the first things I like to do, if there is existing user
documentation,
is to edit/review the document(s). It's a great place to start getting
to know
the application, the team's writing style, company standards, and, as an
"outsider" a contractor can often see where things are not explained
properly,
are out of sequence, and so on.

I think a summary of this would be great!

J. L. Fraser, B.Sc.
Information Developer

When I see a paragraph shrinking under my eyes
like a strip of bacon in a skillet,
I know I'm on the right track.
- Peter DeVries

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=