Re: Favorite computer dictionary?

Subject: Re: Favorite computer dictionary?
From: "Ridder, Fred" <Fred -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:59:27 -0500

On Monday, February 8
Mary McWilliams Johnson <mary -at- SUPERCONNECT -dot- COM> wrote:

>I just LOVE Newton's Telecom Dictionary. It's very informative - actually
>fun reading. It not only has all the terminology you could ever want about
>telecommunications, the Internet, etc., but all kinds of computer lingo.

In my case I think it's more of a love-hate relationship. Newton's
dictionary is useful because it's the only reference that attempts to deal
with the breadth of this diverse field, but I am repeatedly frustrated by
its omissions and inaccuracies. Another important thing to realize and
remember about Newton's dictionary is that many of the definitions and
explanations are provided by individuals and companies that have some
stake in the technology (including my current employer). Many of the
descriptions of proprietary technologies and trademarked terms need
to be read with more than one grain of salt.

An unrelated suggestion for a computer dictionary is the Free Online
Dictionary of Computing (FOLDOC), which is also very entertaining
in a geeky sort of way. The home location of FOLDOC is in England:
http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc
but there are various mirror sites around the world. Since they closed
the mirror site at Princeton University, the site I use most frequently is:
http://nightflight.com/foldoc

Fred Ridder ( Fred -dot- Ridder -at- Dialogic -dot- com )
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corp.
Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy: