Re: Web authoring tool

Subject: Re: Web authoring tool
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:15:53 -0500

Hallo:

Do I understand that you have some MS Word documents and want to convert
them to HTML using FrontPage 98 for viewing on the web?

With that understanding, let's forget about the tools for a minute. The
ratio of height to width of a computer screen is different from that of the
printed page (okay, 99.999999% of the time). People view on-line content
differently than they use printed content. Consider, for example, the
requirement to downsample your pictures for rapid downloading on the web
versus the higher resolutions you need for printing. If you buy this train
of thought, then perhaps you should re-chunk your information for the web
anyway.

Also, HTML formatting options are not as sophisticated as your in-print
formatting options. Furthermore, what your clients see on the web really
depends on which browser they use, especially if you use DHTML or CSS. It
may very well be difficult, impractical, or impossible to get the HTML page
to match your Word document exactly (or even closely).

So, I think your best bet is to export your Word document using Word's HTML
export feature and then roll up your sleeves and edit the HTML to get the
output you desire. Please bear in mind that you may need to outsource this
if you do not have the experience to get this done (from your question, I
respectfully suggest that outsourcing would be a good idea unless you have a
bit of time to experiment).

As for tools, FrontPage 98 should be fine for you.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=