Re: What's wrong with "too"?

Subject: Re: What's wrong with "too"?
From: Hollister Technical Services <Holtec -at- COMITY -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 12:21:44 +0000

In message , Patty Ewy <pewy -at- MIDCOM-INC -dot- COM> writes

>Over the past few weeks I've had a couple writing projects returned to me
>with all the "too's" changed to "also's".
<snip>
>As far as I know, "too" is perfectly acceptable, but if there's some rule
>about "too," I'd love to hear about it. Anyone?
<snip>

Hi Patty,

You do not say who you are writing for. If you have an International
audience (or your documents go for translation) then the number of
meanings of words may need to be restricted. Hence the use of 'also'
that only means 'as well as' leaving 'too' for 'in excess'.

Having said that it would be nice to think that those using American
English as a foreign language (such as myself) might grasp the basic
uses of these simple words.

Cheerio (not the food ;) )
--
Peter Jones
e-mail Holtec -at- comity -dot- demon -dot- co -dot- uk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=