Re: what's in a portfolio?

Subject: Re: what's in a portfolio?
From: George Beinhorn <trail -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:56:05 -0800

Coupla points:

1. Robert Bly, the author of <wonderful> marcom and tech-writing tutorials,
de-emphasizes the portfolio; instead, he recommends taking a "consultant"
approach. When you show a portfolio, you bore the client to tears--what he/she
really wants to know is how you can help. Samples give you credibility, but they
don't get you jobs. Read Bly's book, "Secrets of a Freelance Writer". Terrific
guide for making a living in any contract writing field.

2. Howzabout online portfolios? I'm re-thinking mine. I've got terrific samples,
but I need to do two sites, actually, one for marcom and another for tech. Point
is: don't split the client's attention. I've been very unsuccessful selling my
services online, so far, and this may be part of the reason. Word-of-mouth works
a lot better.

--
George Beinhorn

"How to Run Your First 50-miler"
http://www.oceansofenergy.com

"God on the Job" http://www.oceansofenergy.com/godonjob.htm

Ultrarunning o Yoga o Fitness o Drug Recovery
Weight Loss o Photography

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=