Overlines

Subject: Overlines
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:51:33 -0600

In our previous episode, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Aoid=ECn_Scully?= said:
> Could anyone tell me how to apply an overline to a selected piece of
> text in Microsoft Word?
>
> The Borders and Shading dialog box implies that this is possible, but
> when I try, it doesn't seem to allow it.
>
> I want to place the line over one word in the paragraph, rather than
> over the entire paragraph. For example, say I want to insert a line over
> the word "Product" in the phrase "Product version 1.0".
> I select the word "Product", choose Format - Borders and Shading, choose
> Text in the Apply to box and then click just above "Product" in the
> diagram. But Word inserts a border, rather than an overline.I've tried
> changing the setting on the left, i.e. choosing None, Box, Custom, etc,
> but this doesn't make a difference.
>
> Any solutions?

It occors to me that perhaps you meant above vertically, rather than
on top of, the way I first read it. In that case, your solution is to
use the EQ field code. The syntax for a line over text is EQ \x \to
(your text). Go to Insert|Field, and type that in the blank box.

You don't have much control over formatting, though.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
When you're shooting the rapids is _not_ the time for a long
multimedia presentation on the engineering dynamics of
rapids-shooting, complete with bitter arguments between proponents of
two different theories of fluid dynamics.
-- Patrick Nielsen Hayden

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=