Re: Dedicated Outliner

Subject: Re: Dedicated Outliner
From: Steven Feldberg <steven -at- ICU -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:04:14 -0500

Keith,

>I'm looking for a dedicated outliner to use in writing software
> documentation. The standard outliner in Word just isn't up for the job;
> it's does not allow me the flexibility I need to create my documentation
> plan for this project.

I have been using a shareware product called Mind Manager (their website is
www.mindman.com). If flexibility is what you're looking for, this can't be
beat. It's based on Tony Buzan's mind mapping technique (which, in short, is
akin to a non-linear outline, radiating from a central or core concept).
It's elegant software that you can download and try for free before plunking
down the $130(US) or thereabouts.

I've been using it for several months and am totally hooked. It has proven
to be extremely helpful for brainstorming and planning (project plans,
documentation plans, lesson plans). And it's been extraordinarily helpful in
laying out websites and online help systems. Also, I should note that Mind
Manager can export mind maps (in lieu of ``outlines'') to RTF, plain text,
bitmap, and HTML formats.

Another program worth checking out--again, not strictly an outliner--is
Inspiration at www.inspiration.com. They used to have an evaluation copy you
could download; you'll have to check if they still do.

If you have any specific questions about either program, I'd be happy to
answer them off-list.

/Steven Feldberg
Feldberg Communications
steven -at- icu -dot- com