Thank you for Teaching Tech Writing help

Subject: Thank you for Teaching Tech Writing help
From: Jan Schipper <instr -at- NC5 -dot- INFI -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 07:05:28 -0500

Imagine my pleasure when I received at least seventy-eighty replies to
my plea for suggestions about teaching tech writing. Thank you! Most of
you replied to my personal e-mail account, and I wish I had time to
thank each of you personally. However, I will have to use this public
forum for thanking you (I'm reading research papers, so my time is
limited to one little thank you message).

Last month as schedules for the fall semester were assigned, the Chair
asked me to make this Technical Writing course "mine" and "save it" from
removel from the catalog, so I intend to distribute a flyer on Monday to
all advisors outlining the course and encouraging the advisors to tell
their advisees about the course (Tech Writing is not a required course).
Consistently, enrollment has been low, and most of the students who
register for the course withdraw. However, after the information and
suggestions from TECHWR listmembers, which I intend to use shamelessly,
I am confident that this course will regain the respect that technical
writing deserves.

Thank you all!

Jan Schipper

And to the person who asked what field I'm in . . . my degrees are in
English, both B.A. (minor in computer science) and M.A.; my doctorate
will be (if I EVER finish this dissertation) in English but my two
emphasis areas are (get this) Nineteenth Century British Literature
(especially poetry) and computer science. I couldn't decide between my
two loves, poetry and computers, so I chose both. Well, certainly the
areas are a little diverse, but it was a tactic I thought would help me
when I applied for a teaching position. It worked! I was interviewed by
five English faculty members, who were not impressed by my presentation
of computer-assisted instruction. However, the Dean of Academic Affairs
and the Dean of Humanities were interested, and they created a position
for me because of my experience in using computers. I am still
overwhelmed that I was hired to teach at the college of my dreams!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=