Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting

Subject: Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting
From: Maurice King <benadam -at- CYBERDUDE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:53:27 -0400

During the 14 months since I returned to the U.S., I have found myself working in many contract jobs simply because they were the most available jobs. I would have preferred a permanent job, but when I took one, I learned quite painfully how meaningless the word "permanent" is when the company downsized overnight, leaving the entire technical documentation team without work. I had been in that job only a bit under five months, shorter than many contract jobs.

In each job, there was a need that justified bringing a person in. However, in at least half the jobs, little thought was put into defining those needs accurately, and I found myself in an uncomfortable situation of having to cope with situations for which I was ill prepared. It seemed as if the companies who required a contract writer didn't put much thought into hiring, almost as if they had drawn my name out of a hat. In those jobs, I suffered badly and felt abused. However, in the jobs for which the need was clearly defined and I was definitely the person who could fulfill those needs, I was treated well and with respect.

What bothers me about contracting, however, are two things: the insecure existence and the tendency to be branded as a contractor forever. In more than one interview, I have seen the interviewers regard me with suspicion when I tell them that I truly do want a permanent job; some have even asked bluntly, "How can I be convinced that you won't come to work for us and then leave after a few months to go back to contracting?" The most convincing argument I can offer is my loathing for the insecurity of contracting; nobody guarantees me work at the end of a contract. As the sole support to a family of four that includes one chronically ill family member and another with special needs, I really don't need suspense in my life.

Another major headache that can ruin the experience of contracting is the contracting agency that places the contractor. Sometimes the agencies misrepresent the job and/or the candidate, and this already sabotages the experience from the start. I had this happen on one job in which the job description was far from what I found myself doing. Not only that, but the agency claimed that it offered full benefits, but after I began working, I discovered that they offered none at all. Even if the job had been great, which it definitely was not, I would still have had a bad feeling about it. However, I've also had good experiences, such as the agency that employs me now; they haven't missed a beat on anything, and I find that something definitely worth noting. It's easy to understand that the feeling of appreciation in a job has a lot to do with the way the contractor is treated by the employing agency no less than by the personnel on the site requiring the contractor.

Up to now, I have received benefits through the contracting firm that employs me, but they may not have work for me when my current contract ends; maybe someone else has experience with this and could advise me, but I haven't a clue as to what to do. If there are others who can guide me, please post me off the list, because this troubles me greatly. I am still not well advised with regards to these aspects of life in the U.S.

Still, I would gladly end my contracting for a "permanent" job that I enjoyed. Early in my career, the constant moving around was a great education for me, but today most companies aren't willing to allow for a learning curve; the contractor has to jump into the driver's seat and race forward. Contracting is less a learning experience and more of a live performance today than it was years ago. This trend has also produced some absurdities, like the ad I recently saw looking for a person with a minimum of three years of experience working with JavaHelp; the ad is a clear indication of the sort of people that would be overseeing the contractor, and I wouldn't come close to such a place.

Perhaps the ideal situation for a person who wants the exposure to a changing market is to work as a salaried consultant for a company providing professional services in IT technology. I've found it not so easy to find work with such firms, however, at least in the area in which I currently live. Maybe it's easier in the large cities. Such companies have an interest in keeping the skills of their employees razor sharp, which is essential today to remain in the market.

- Maury

Get free personalized email at http://geocities.iname.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=