Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting

Subject: Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting
From: Keith Anderson <mkanderson -at- USA -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:38:33 -0500

Don't confuse contracting versus full-time employment with choosing the
right work environment for you. Ultimately, the work makes the difference.
It's up to you to pick contracts or jobs that will make you successful. When
I was last looking for a job, I researched each job carefully and even
turned down a couple of offers that I knew weren't right.

In the past I have worked as a staff consultant, full-time lone-writer,
full-time writer among many, independent, and hourly contractor. I used to
think in terms of which was better. However, I realized that I love the work
and how I get paid for the work is irrelevant. I'm currently working an
excellent contract with good pay and the client loves my work so much that I
may be offered a full-time job. Will I take it? It depends on the offer and
what my job will actually be.

In the past I worked a contract under a micro-manager who literally timed
the length of everyone's restroom breaks. I quietly finished my contract and
moved on to a small startup company that went under after a year, but I
loved working there. However, I learned nothing is permanent. In addition,
my current contract has taught me that my bad experiences are not
representative of an entire industry.

If you love your work and you work with good people, you will find that more
times than not, you're where you want to be. I don't mean to oversimplify
the complexities of inevitably working with difficult people and
bureaucratic organizations, but I believe that loving the work itself is the
first step to truly being successful.

Keith Anderson

mkanderson -at- usa -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=