Re: Converting from RoboHelp to ForeHelp

Subject: Re: Converting from RoboHelp to ForeHelp
From: David Demyan <dbdemyan -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:00:25 -0400

Glenn Weir wrote:

> What are the issues (if any) converting from RoboHelp to ForeHelp as a help
> authoring tool?

Glenn:

You can import the project into ForeHelp, but as you fear, some items will
not convert well. I had problems in two areas: macros and formats.

I thought the macros would convert, but somehow they are lost in the
import and must be reconstructed in RH. For the small project I did,
this was not a major concern.

Formats will not match because ForeHelp uses it's own RTF editor,
whereas RoboHelp uses Word to create the RTF. I found no correlation
between the two and had a lot of re-formatting to do after the project
was imported. Many creative and fancy effects in RH are gone in
FH and cannot be duplicated.

Another approach that you can try is to simply decompile the .HLP
file that had been created in RH using the FH decompiler. This will
build a basic FH project, but you will find that embedded graphics
are exported with automatically-generated file names. Also, SHED
graphics may not work in the new one and some formatting will be
lost. It may be better than either a) starting from scratch and importing
text or b) importing the project.

Let me know how it works.

Dave.
--
David B. Demyan dbd -at- mendem -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=