Re: Restructuring a monster

Subject: Re: Restructuring a monster
From: N Kendall <k534 -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:49:39 -0700

> From: Maaike Groenewege <mgr -at- MEDIASYS -dot- NL>
> Subject: Restructuring a monster reference manual

Interesting that you mention such a "monster" task. This has been my
specialty for some years.

First of all, as you stated, break the document into smaller units; possibly
different books. Reorganize the chapters for an easier read. In the process,
the look-and-feel (formatting) of the document should be changed to a more
spacious, less confusing one. By "modularizing" the document(s) you can
alleviate some of the problems associated with the fast-changing software.
Hopefully, only small document sections will be affected by the changes.

Second, if you have a lot of graphics of software screens, consider making a
chapter devoted exclusively to the various screens. I used this method on
the Ground Based Software Tool (GBST) for the Boeing 777, which was
5,000-some pages. Each screen was listed alphabetically, a screen-captured
graphic of each screen was shown and described. Each pull-down menu and
button was described including a graphic(s) of the choices available from
each menu and button. This "screen" section covers everything that a user
would want to know about every screen that they may encounter. If you have
several different software products, such as the GBST, which was actually 6
different tools, you should separate each product into its own book/document.

If the software is complex, which it sounds like it is, consider including a
section (for each product) that contains 11 x 17 graphic foldouts showing
the paths available from each menu and button for each different software
product. Boeing loved this!!

Use SIMPLIFIED ENGLISH. Keep the sentences short, approximately 15-20 words.
Don't get "wordy". Be concise. In this case, you are not paid by the word.
Also, be consistent in technical term usage.

Third, separate all installation info into a separate document. The GBST had
1 installation document with a section for each of the 6 tools.

Fourth, create a multi-level index. This can be a task in itself. I'd
suggest spending at least a week developing the index for each section. It
should not be taken lightly, it takes a really good tech writer to "think
like a user" when creating an index. A multi-level index (using index
markers) lets you convey thoughts and phrases; often using words not
included in the actual document.

Keep in mind, from the start of a project to the end of a project, on
average a good technical writer usually produces 4 to 4 1/2 pages per day.

Maaike, what software are you using? Interleaf Publisher, though expensive,
is perfect for this type of task.
Nancy Kendall
Sr Documentation Analyst and Owner
Kendall Custom Documentation