Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting

Subject: Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting
From: "Beard, Samuel" <Samuel -dot- Beard -at- GSC -dot- GTE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 06:52:15 -0700

Hello All,

Coming out of lurkdom to take exception to what Anthony Markatos said:

Or you may type
up what people want you to know - which is always alot about HOW the
software works and very lean on WHAT the software does. (Note: End
users want to know WHAT the software does, not HOW it works.)

Personally, speaking as an end user, I don't give a flying leap WHAT the
software does when it does it's magic, only that the software WORKS. Even
though I know that, as a technical writer, there are a lot of issues with
WHAT a program does and, in SOME cases, it might benefit me to know that
info, I usually only care about getting the results that I want with the
least amount of fuss. IF that should involve knowing WHAT the software does
versus HOW the software does, THEN I would want to know that. But only then.
Otherwise, forget telling me about WHAT the software does to get the job
done and tell me WHAT to do to get the software to do that job. Of course, I
think this all comes back to knowing your users and what their needs are.

Back to lurking....

Sam Beard
Technical Writer
GSC, GTE (soon to be Bell Atlantic-GTE, soon to be something else
entirely!!)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=