Re: Gender-specific pronouns

Subject: Re: Gender-specific pronouns
From: Rebecca Merck <Rebecca -dot- Merck -at- ONESOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:32:25 -0400

Sean --

> I often substitute the plural "they/their" for "he/his" when referring a
group that includes men and women. I have no problem with this because my
audience has none. In truth, I suspect there are many in our collective
audiences who have problems identifying such a change in number. Besides, it
is accepted practice (in the US, anyway) to substitute "they/their" for the
singular.

** I'm with you, with the provision that I then recast the sentence INTO the
plural. The only thing that maybe confuses me more than some of the
non-gender-specific single alternatives ("he/she" or "s/he") is to suddenly
have to figure out why I'm suddenly a multiple personality....

-rjm

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=