Re: Translation to HTML

Subject: Re: Translation to HTML
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:48:35 -0400

Hallo:

What do you mean by "really accurate HTML"? Are you asking whether any
package supports the pure HTML standard, whatever version we are on?

I expect that most products flavor HTML to support Microsoft IE. This would
certainly be true of MS Word.

I expect that, after I convert from a DTP or word processing format to HTML,
I am going to do a lot of editing, either with Notepad.exe or a web
authoring tool.

I expect to spend considerable time during the editing process checking my
HTML in several circumstances: IE4, 5, Nav 4.5, 3.02, AOL's latest, and
Opera's latest. I have no doubt that what I see in those circumstances will
cause me a tonne of work and re-work.

I do not expect it to be easy to create a well-designed and executed HTML
document or site. I understand that HTML coding is easy, many of us have
been doing it in SGML, Ventura tag codes, MIF, WordPerfect, etc., for years.
I find that experience, education, design ability, understanding of the
process, tools, and needs of the end-user will all complicate the process of
just converting or just tagging ASCII text.

All the best.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

"HTML? Any high-schooler can do that." <vbg>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=