Re: transferring a website

Subject: Re: transferring a website
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:54:29 -0600

As a FrontPage user who has trained (and retrained) other FrontPage users I can
guess what happened. Mike, I think, is right to guess that they're absolute
links rather than relative links. FP offers multiple ways to establish links
and many careless users don't bother to find out the differences among the
methods.

For any FP user who doesn't know why they have this problem: In the FP Create
Hyperlink dialog users can a) click on a file name in the window which
establishes a relative link, b) click on the web browse icon to create an
absolute link to a www page, c) click on the file browse icon to create an
absolute link to something in the web authors files, d) email link icon which
allows you to type in an emalil address, or e) new page link icon which allows
you to create a relative link to a new page in the current FP web.

Personally, I wish FP would get rid of the file browse icon. It has been a real
pain retraining people to NOT USE IT, so that their files would contain relative
links and work when moved to network servers.

Jill Burgchardt
jburgchardt -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=