Re: Is it polite to point?

Subject: Re: Is it polite to point?
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:22:10 -0400

I don't use "point", because the user isn't pointing anything. I just checked
my most recent manual for an intranet application, and I worded it as follows:

1. Double click the Internet Explorer icon on your Windows 95 desktop.

The browser window appears.

2. In the address area of the browser, enter the following:

http://www.whatever.com

Your browser will locate and load the "Whatever" website.

Now, I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it or not, but it works for
me. I would avoid using "point". I remember teaching a PC class years ago -
when I asked them to point their mouse at something on the screen, I turned
around and saw one student, mouse in hand and raised in the air, point it (like
a television converter) at the monitor.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

Laugh and the world laughs with you;
Snore and you sleep alone.

On Tuesday, May 11, 1999 6:06 PM, Anne Chenette [SMTP:anne -at- INSTRUMENTAL -dot- COM]
wrote:
> My obsession of the hour:
>
> Would you say "point your browser to www.whatever.com" in a technical
> document? (In my case, software installation instructions that
> contain references to some web-based information.)
>
> I'm not fond of this phrase, but can't think of a better one. Ideas?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=