Re: Is it polite to point?

Subject: Re: Is it polite to point?
From: Jan Stanley <janron -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 19:37:45 -0400

Anne asked--

"Would you say "point your browser to www.whatever.com" in a
technical document?"

I'd say "go to www.whatever.com" (which, btw, gets you to a site
full o' jokes).

Seems to me that anyone who's familiar with browsers (which it
appears your users are) would know how to get to a site; the
"point your browser" is gratuitous.

And I just plain don't like it, either. :-)

You could (that is, *I* could) also argue that "point your
browser" only refers to *specifying* a URL (typically, by typing
it in); you make the browser *go* to the URL that's been pointed
to by pressing Enter (or by clicking OK in a dialog box, or by
some other means).

Regards,

Jan Stanley
janron -at- concentric -dot- net