Re: Interview from hell

Subject: Re: Interview from hell
From: Denise Fritch <dfritch -at- INTELLICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:06:38 -0700

> I don't think this is actually true (in the US). People seem to
> think that
> there is a long list of laws against discrimination, but there is a
> difference between discrimination when hiring and discrimination when
> firing.
>
> <snip>
>
> You can certainly discriminate on sexual orientation (that's what
> all these
> "special class" fights are over in practically every state).

You may actually be mistaken, depending upon your particular state.
California does make firing or refusing to hire, based upon some specific
criteria, a misdemeanor hate crime. Last fall, AB 1999 passed the
legislature and was signed by the governor (a Republican at the time if it
makes any difference), becoming part of the criminal code January 1st. That
change added "gender identity" to those hate crime statutes dealing with
hiring and firing. There were all too many incidents with people born
"intersexed" (physical characteristics of both genders) being fired, refused
employment, evictions, etc.

Denise L. Fritch
Sr. Tech Writer

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=