Re: Getting Published

Subject: Re: Getting Published
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:57:44 -0700

I also feel that publishing would be a good way to advertise my small
company and our product--not just in technical journals, but also in
management-type publications--the people who control the budgets. But this
type of article would not be how-to/documentation type stuff, it would be
conceptual or maybe a case study.

I guess I'm thinking about who's reading the journals, and what they'd want
or need to see. In our case, we don't have a lot of users and those that do
have access to all the documentation we produce. So documentation/how-to
stuff would not be useful to readers or to us.

I'm not sure I can visualize a circumstance where it would be useful to
publish documentation, unless, I suppose your company is relatively well
known with many users and what you publish is different than the standard
documentation: special tips or more indepth how-tos, like "Achieving
success with MS Word autonumbering" or "Paint Shop Pro: understanding
palettes". (Although maybe this is what Leona means by "a somewhat small
company with a big name for publicity"--I wasn't sure what this meant.)

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)
Bremerton, Washington