Re: Reality Check Time

Subject: Re: Reality Check Time
From: Kate O'Neill <kateo -at- CINEBASE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 16:08:01 -0800

Elna complained:
> Oh, please! I'm getting really tired of this board providing fuel for
> urban
> legends that aren't true. I can't think of a single place in the Bay Area
> where
> you have to pay $12 for a cup of coffee. We've dissed Silicon Valley -
> and the
> people who work here - enough, thankyouverymuch. People choose geographic
> areas
> for a variety of reasons - what's wrong with simply acknowledging that
> diff'rent
> folks like diff'rent strokes and let it go at that?

[O'Neill, Kate] Looks like I should have left my original phrasing
intact: I initially made a parenthetical comment about perpetuating
misconceptions, and then changed it to the version about expensive
habits 'cause it's Friday and I thought I'd play along with the
joke.

You're right that coffee doesn't cost $12 in Silicon Valley, of
course,
and there are plenty of things I pay less for here than what I used
pay in Chicago, but I couldn't resist.

OB-TECHWR-L: I think the point about "marketing writers" making
less than technical writers is an interesting one, but I wonder how
many writers use this terminology, given the apparent consequence
of earning less dough? Are there any writers on this list who
identify
primarily as "marketing writers"?

--
Kate O'Neill: Manager of Documentation