Re: Reality Check Time

Subject: Re: Reality Check Time
From: Kate O'Neill <kateo -at- CINEBASE -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:31:42 -0800

Good point, and I'll take it one step farther:
in the software start-ups where I've worked,
it's quite common to have a director or even
a v.p. of marketing with no marketing writers
in-house, while over in development, there's
only an intermediate-level tech writer, and
-maybe- they hire (or promote) a doc manager
once they've added another writer or two.
Usually, though, the marketing writing is
contracted out, while the lone tech writer is
left to provide all of the doc horsepower.

And I'm not even saying that's necessarily the
wrong way to go; having high-powered marketing
is a good thing for a start-up. But I'm of the
opinion that tech pubs should be a marketing
advantage when possible, and even if they're
paying over $50K to that lone tech writer, it
doesn't match the tens or even hundreds of
thousands in the budget for marketing--none of
which is spent on tech pubs.

--
Kate O'Neill: Manager of Documentation
Cinebase Software