Do users really like the format of HTML Help/Webhelp?

Subject: Do users really like the format of HTML Help/Webhelp?
From: Linda Miller <linda_k_miller -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 06:23:56 PDT

I've had several negative comments about the format of Webhelp which has the
left-hand pane with Contents, Index, Help; and the right-hand pane with the
actual info. This format is essentially the same as HTML Help.

One sales manager opened our webhelp for an internet ordering system and
said immediately, "Oh I hate this format." A co-worker looked at the webhelp
I developed for a set of policies and said, "It's pretty dry, just looks
like a help file. We could do regular web pages that would look much nicer."

And, truthfully, how much more work would it be to design a nice front page
for the set of policies and put navigation buttons in each policy page and
add bells and whistles...well actually, it'd be a lot more work. But if the
users hate the webhelp...

To be fair, not everyone has been negative. The IT manager for the policies
page was pleased with new format. And the sales manager said he could
probably "make do."

Personally, I'm not all that crazy about this two-pane format either. It
really reduces the amount of space you have for the info. But evidently
that's the direction help is going in.

So, my question is, have there been any studies about this design for its
usability/acceptability/pleasability? Anyone with an opinion/experience with
users liking/disliking this format?

If this has already been discussed ad nauseum, I apologize for bringing it
up again.

Regards,
Linda K. Miller

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=