Re: Chapter Numbers in TOC/Index and Merged Index

Subject: Re: Chapter Numbers in TOC/Index and Merged Index
From: Kathi Jan Knill <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- TEMPLATE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:08:37 -0400

Ok, get ready for a long answer. Its all stuck together so that
it would be accepted by the list. Sorry.

I am assuming that your pages are numbered using the automatic
pagination. Go to the header or footer that contains the page
number.
Select the number. You should see that the number is surrounded
by a frame.
Select Format>Frame and then remove the frame from the number.
Now, place the number (using tabs) whereever you want it to
appear in the header/footer. You have to manually put the
chapter number, hyphen before the page number. (Example: 2-4)
Unfortunately you will have to change some of your styles. I
did try to set a style other than Heading 1 to do this, but it
did not work right.
So, change all of your headings (I suggest you just drop them
down so that your original 2 is now the format of your original
1, your original 3 is now the format of your original 2, etc.)
For Heading 1, select Format>Style Click Modify. Change
the Based On to List Numbered
Click Format. Select Font. Make the text Hidden.
If you are in a chapter other than chapter 1, Click Format.
Select Numbering.
Click Customize. Change the start at to whatever chapter number
you are on. Click OK. Select Add to Template (if you want to,
it is not necessary, since you only need this heading once.)
Click OK.
Click Apply. (Assuming your cursor is at the beginning of the
document -- otherwise Click Close.) Now, even though you can
see the text, it won't print out on the page.
We are not finished. Now you have to reset the table of contents
and index formats.
Select Insert>Index and Tables... Select the Table of Contents
tab. Click Options.
Change the TOC Levels so that Heading 1 is set to nothing,
Heading 2 is set to 1, Heading 3 is set to 2, etc. Your
Index will automatically be changed so that it runs correctly.
Now you can use the TOC and Index creation things across the
files they way it was discussed a couple of days ago on the list.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me OFF-LINE.

Kathi Jan Knill, Sr. Technical Writer
Template Software Kathi -dot- Knill -at- Template -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=