Re: Personality Types & TWriting

Subject: Re: Personality Types & TWriting
From: Lydia Wong <lydiaw -at- FPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 16:33:03 -0400

Sue Gallagher wrote:

> I'd be more inclined to measure (if possible) curiosity and the ability
> to figure things out rather than any tested personality type as a success
> indicator for this profession.

I agree with this, though I think it is interesting to take personality
tests. They can teach us about ourselves and those we work with. Of course,
we shouldn't let test results pigeon-hole others or ourselves.

For those interested in tests, though, I wanted to recommend another type of
test, an interest inventory test. I took one back in college that I believe
was the Strong-Cambell Interest Inventory test. (I think these are separate
tests now? Or perhaps there are variations on them out there.) At any rate,
the concept is that you answer LOTS of questions about your interests, and
those results are compared to the results of people in all different fields
of work. The bottom line is that you will probably be happier in a career
where you share common interests with your coworkers.

The analysis of the test shows your results, and groups your results by some
broad categories of careers: for example, artistic, investigative, etc. (two
that were high on my list!). Then the results show detailed breakdowns of
your results vs. other careers and ranks them. Just as an example, my
interests most closely matched the interests of musicians, veterinarians,
and (ta da!) writers. (Looking back on it, I should have paid more attention
to the results! It took me a while to come around to a field that was high
on my list.)

If you look for community college courses or adult learning courses on
career planning in your area, you might be able to take such a test at a
discount (they can be quite expensive).

Oh, and for the record, I'm an ISFP (and so's my husband!).

Lydia : )
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.