Re: Style Guidelines for pull-down menus

Subject: Re: Style Guidelines for pull-down menus
From: Kathleen Holscher <kholscher -at- NSISW -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:38:53 -0500

It may also depend on your audience.

<snip>
The way I see it, put the command the user needs at the beginning of the
sentence, giving it more emphasis, then tell the user where to find it. I
also find it more natural: "Get my keys from the glove compartment" instead
of "From the glove compartment, get my keys".

While it may seem natural, novice users may need to work as they read. If
you don't tell them where to find a command first, they user reads the first
part (command), reads the second part (where to find it), locates the where
to find it part, and then may have to reread the first part. This is
especially true when the where to find it part may be through several
submenus. Clear as mud? I guess what I'm saying is that some readers may
prefer a 'work as you read" style.

Just another perspective.
Kathleen

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=