Re: FrameMaker and RoboHelp

Subject: Re: FrameMaker and RoboHelp
From: "Weiner, Kandis" <kweiner -at- POSITRON -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:13:19 -0400

Hello Christine,

In your post, you asked:

<snip>
> I am doing some research for my company. We are looking for a software
> package that generates online help files from existing documentation.
</snip>

WebWorks publisher from Quadralay (http://www.quadralay.com) works directly
with FrameMaker files to convert them into a number of formats, HTML,
HTMLHelp, among others. It is a straight conversion tool for single sourcing
print and online formats. To get Quadralay to work for you, you have to
create a template in WebWorks, mapping FrameMaker paragraph tags to the
desired tags of the final output. This is no simple matter, but once the
template is created, you don't have to mess with it again (except for
tweaking).

It is possible to use FrameMaker and RoboHTML to create HTML Help, using
FrameMaker's Save As HTML. But this is far from pretty. FrameMaker makes
garbled HTML and uses CSS. This method requires A LOT of manual work.

HTH,
Kandis Weiner.
Technical Communicator - Positron Public Safety Systems
http://www.postron911.com
mailto:kweiner -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=