FWD: An inquiry for academics

Subject: FWD: An inquiry for academics
From: Anonymous Poster <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:35:46 -0600 (MDT)

Subject: An Inquiry for Academics

After earning my M.A. in English Lit, I regretfully decided that earning
a Ph.D. in English Literature was probably not going to land me a
tenure-track position. After seeing several of my fellow graduate
students complete their doctorates and embark upon the life of a gypsy
academic, moving around to accept a series of temporary instructorships,
I left academe and came to technical writing.

Over the past ten years, I have held positions in technical
communications up to Director of Documentation. At this point in my
life, I realize how much I miss teaching and working with students. I am
interested in returning to academics in some capacity, and I hope that
some list members might have insights and suggestions to offer.

My understanding is that the job market for universities remains very
tight and competitive. I wonder if that is also true of technical
schools and two-year institutions, places that might have a need for
courses like "business communications" or "technical writing." I feel
that I could do an excellent job working with these students.

I would appreciate any views from the academic trenches. What is your
view of the likelihood of someone with an M.A. being able to locate
something more permanent than a temporary instructorship? I am flexible
as to location, etc. I am willing to work on a Ph.D. as a condition of
employment. Would those doing the hiring look favorably upon someone who
has worked as a technical writer returning to teaching?

Another opportunity that might be worth investigating is some sort of
secondary education, having an opportunity to work with students at a
critical time of their lives. Does anyone know of technical
communicators who have returned to/entered teaching? How did it work
out?

Are there any listservs I should join? Any web sites I should frequent?
Anything else I can or should do?

Due to work-related considerations, I requested that Eric post this
message anonymously. If anyone has information to share, I would be
happy to contact you off-line.

TIA! I hope to read some interesting comments and ideas.

Forwarded anonymously on request. If you want the
original poster to see your response, you must reply
to the TECHWR-L list. All direct replies to this
message are automatically discarded. Contact Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com with questions.