Thoughts on reproducing what's on screen

Subject: Thoughts on reproducing what's on screen
From: "Leslie Johnson" <custcomm -at- cadvision -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 16:15:39 -0600

Hey all!

I've been following this discussion with interest (like a lot of other
people), and I've noted some really good possible solutions. I'd like to add
one more to the pot:

We worked around this dilemma for a particular contract by working with the
client to select the 6 or 7 most-used reports, then we carefully built
sample data around the reports and created a tutorial book that taught the
users to create/reproduce those reports. In the process of creating the
reports, the user (incidentally - OK, actually very carefully planned)
learned how to use the software.

We had excellent usability results from this book, and in fact, won an award
for it at the STC convention in Anaheim.

Worked like a charm!

Leslie Johnson
S.I. Writes
Calgary, Alberta