RE: Eliminate Paper Manual?

Subject: RE: Eliminate Paper Manual?
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- arrakis -dot- es>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 11:35:00 +0200

I would agree that PDF is the immediate choice. I was on a
project documenting an API, and we decided to drop the
printed docs altogether. That allowed electronic
distribution, and made the product less expensive - a good
thing since we decided to offer the API for free. A few
points:

* Existing users COMPLAINED... Rightly so. It's not so
easy to use as paper.
* In spite of the complaints, I'm not aware of any
customers who printed the PDF versions. The only
people I know of who printed them were inhouse for the
company that makes the API, and they got the company to
foot the bill. We're talking about thousands of pages.
* HTML would be good, and in fact, for my personal use of
the API, I generated an HTML version of the docs, and I
access it through my development environment.

Not sure if this is particularly useful or interesting, but
there it is.

cud