What can you see in your reader?

Subject: What can you see in your reader?
From: "Jean Richardson" <jean -at- bjrcom -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:59:59 -0700

I am interacting with a group of about 35 technical communicators for a
project I'm working on in my local STC Chapter. Almost all of this
interaction takes place in email. I'm getting some interesting feedback
from some of these folks. Many of them are very new -- maybe even to using
email. So I thought I'd check in with you all.

Can you tell me if which email reader you are using and whether you can see
the following:

-- My signature file at the end of this message.
-- The email address I sent this message to.
-- My email address in the From field.
-- Email addresses in the CC field. I CC'd myself on this message.

I've become a bit concerned that I'm taking too much for granted in terms of
how much information I can expect a reader to glean from the header and sig
file versus how much I need to make explicit in the body of a message.

I hope my quick and dirty survey isn't too much of an intrusion on the
ongoing threads.

-- Jean

BJR Communications, Inc.
Portland, Oregon, USA
voice: (503) 788-8998

A provider of:

* Customer contact skills training
* Audience analysis and research
* User assistance life cycle development
* Technical communication products