Re: Proper Grammer - Need For?

Subject: Re: Proper Grammer - Need For?
From: "Sandra Charker" <scharker -at- connectives -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 23:16:26 +1100

wrote:

> The key is STANDARDIZATION. ...
>
> I used to be a air traffic controller (tower and radar approach control).
> Grammer wise, many controller-to-pilot communications are poor. I was
once
> (while a trainee) severely chastised for telling a pilot: "The wind
> [direction]is two-one-zero degrees at seven nautical miles [per hour]."
My
> boss told me that I should have said: "Wind: two-one-zero degrees at
seven."
> -- not a word more.
>
> Clear and concise air traffic controller-to-pilot (technical)
communication
> does consistently occur. Believe me, if it did not, you would soon here
> about it on the news! The key is standardization. Controller-to-pilot
> communications are very highly standardized. In the above mentioned
example,
> "Wind: two-one-zero degrees at seven." is the standard way of conveying
wind
> direction and velocity information to pilots. All parties concerned know
> exactly what this means, and any deviation from this standard is a
potential
> source of (deadly) confusion.

Usability guru Bruce Tognazzini has another take on the conventions of
flying.

http://www.asktog.com/columns/009mentoys.html
http://www.asktog.com/columns/027InterfacesThatKill.html

Tony's post is an extreme example of the difficulty of changing established
usage, however inappropriate or unnecessary it's become.