RE: Advice Needed: Getting Started with RoboHelp

Subject: RE: Advice Needed: Getting Started with RoboHelp
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 15:06:20 -0000

Hi Joanne,

>>I've been a tech writer for all of 1 1/2 months, so right now I'm the
human
sponge, trying to learn as much as I can. Since I'm the only documentation
person at my company, your help with my questions would be wonderful.<<

I've been there. Hang in there and keep sponging it up! :-)

>>In the new year, I'll be expected to start using RoboHelp. How would you
suggest I start learning it--play with it for a few weeks, then attend a
class? <<

Yes. If you can, try to do a small project in RoboHelp - learn as much as
you can about using it - and then see if you can do a shortened beginner's
course and then an experienced user's course, back-to-back. While you're
playing with RoboHelp, write down all the questions that occur to you, and
if they don't get answered during the course, buttonhole the instructor and
get them answered one-on-one during break time.

This is the method I would recommend for learning any package. *First* get
yourself acquainted with it: then go on a course and learn the shortcuts and
the complexities. If you get a choice of courses, read the curricula and
figure out which one suits you best - I would go for one that lets you
truncate the course for absolute beginners, because *usually* they seem to
be aimed at people inexperienced with the basics of Windows packages.

Good luck!

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.