I sincerely hope I don't have an inner Brad Pitt

Subject: I sincerely hope I don't have an inner Brad Pitt
From: William Swallow <WSWALLOW -at- commsoft -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:27:22 -0500

<snip>
I find it rather irresponsible and pathetic when managers sock off "team
building" exercises to employees. Basically, when management does this they
are saying: "We are too important and self-absorbed to waste our precious
time
to dirty our hands with you little cretins." If the author's manager wants
find a better way to make teams bond, maybe he/she should start by being a
better manager.

If that fails, then just go out into the parking lot and beat the snot out
of
each other. It does not really accomplish anything, but it sure feels good.
<snip>

I agree with Andrew to some extent. Team building exercises can be great,
but like he said, you can't force people into a team mentality, and any team
building exercise will fail if members of the team don't want any part of
it.

We have monthly excursions to beat the virtual snot out of each other... we
go and play laser tag. It's something we started doing as a small group,
primarily to relieve stress. We were all in agreement that this was
something we'd like to do, and it was a blast! Now that our department is
growing with leaps and bounds, we might have a few people who aren't into
the run-around-in-a-maze-of
blacklit-darkness-shooting-each-other-to-pounding-techno-music scene. And
that's fine. At that point, we'll either find something else to do or do
lunch with an optional laser tag excursion preceding.

Anyhow, it's getting late and I gotta run. If'n I don't hear from y'all
agin... Happy Turkey Day, Y'Hear?!?!

Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
Aptis Inc.
a subsidiary of Billing Concepts
phone: 518.433.7698
fax: 518.433.7680
<mailto:william -dot- swallow -at- aptissoftware -dot- com>
<http://www.aptissoftware.com>

"...painting murals with metaphors..."