Improving colleagues' writing skills

Subject: Improving colleagues' writing skills
From: teresa -dot- wittel -at- Microchip -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:24:00 -0700

Lean Ni Chuilleanain writes:

...I'm concerned that so much error-ridden copy is being produced in
the company, and I want to find an effective way to persuade people
that they need to take more care in their writing. ...

Hey -- just a reminder! Although I want all external documents to look
good, too, I don't require that all my colleagues write better. After
all, that's MY job! If they all wrote well, why would they need me?

As long as management agrees that happy, well-informed customers are
worth the extra cost that my salary incurs, and are willing to let me
<or another professional writer> fix what the customer sees, I'm a
very happy tech writer.

It sounds like Lean's company has more problems than bad writers.
Management has to value good documentation <at least offer lip
service>, or you're in the wrong company.

Teresa Wittel
Sr. Technical Writer/Editor
Microchip Technology, Inc.